Wednesday 2 November 2016

Great War mounted mess tin

Amongst the items I received from my grandfather was his "mounted mess tin". It has been well used and is fire scorched. These tins were the cooking and eating dish that were issued to men whose war time work involved riding horses, be the men officers, cavalry men, or artillery soldiers. The tin is shaped like a jam filled doughnut and measures 6 inches across.

Just the other day I chanced upon two of these in an antique shop. I had to buy them. One is in near pristine condition with a very silvered finish. It's almost like chrome on a car from the 1950s though I presume it's a tin or nickel plated process. There is no apparent use and no damage short of the dents made by the stamping process with the numbers 33 and the letters RCA, presumably for Royal Canadian Artillery. There are also the numbers and letters 89 FBCA. On the bottom is stamped "The Sheet Metal Products Company Limited", and the date 1916.



The other is not quite so well preserved as a small amount of rust has started and lifted off a bit of the peeling silvery plate. It is made by the Thomas Davidson Manufacturing Company of Montreal in 1913. This is indicated by a delightful little plate soldered onto the surface around the rim.



I intend to make some leather straps for these as this was how everything was kept together and how they were carried from the saddle. Web searches also show cloth covers similarly strapped.

I'm contemplating selling these as I do not need them for my own collection. If you're interested please contact me by email at this address: timothyjsoper@gmail.com

I'm selling them for $150 each, Plus shipping charges.





No comments:

Post a Comment