Monday 23 October 2017

French Adrian helmet

I've been wanting one of these for a long time, but could never justify the expense. Most recently I was able to buy what I took to be two reproductions for $25 each. They were painted a very bright horizon blue. I believed I had seen them for sale online at about $80 U.S. These were without liners but were otherwise a fine looking pair… Except I hated the blue...


So the next day I took the paint remover to them. As soon as it bubbled I rubbed the paint off with a hand full of sawdust. I was surprised to discover a very perfect gray blue under-coat, and rust, pitting, and dents that speak of age. 



I now believe that I have a pair of decommissioned helmets from the First World War. Someone, somewhere, has found these and is selling them repainted the bright horizon blue. What I now have looks a lot more like what one typically sees on websites. If I'm right then this is a delightful discovery, and at a price I could afford!



One of the things I most enjoy about my collecting is the slow discovery of the right item at a good price. If I were rich I would have bought way too much stuff by now. But being impecunious I have the pleasure of special purchases that fall into my lap in memorable circumstances. 



Such a way of collecting is priceless. 







No comments:

Post a Comment